There are many reasons for and benefits of competing on a regular basis:
- Competition is what retains players in the sport long-term. If a player gets involved in club, county and national competition and enjoys it they will carry on playing tennis for life.
- It is not until a player gets involved in competition that they really start to work hard on the practice court. When they start to compete they understand why they are out there.
- It develops fantastic life skills such as resilience, stress management, independence, courage and acceptance.
- Players don’t just improve for competition – they improve while they are competing! Competitive events give lots of on-court hours training at a good level with plenty of ongoing feedback about how you are playing.
- Often it is through competing that players start to develop a social network in tennis – again crucial for retention in the sport
The club has a range of different ways to play competitive tennis, from its own annual championship, through Sunday tournaments, to league tennis at various levels.